From the naming of a state "Utah Youth Symphony Orchestra Day," to the Olympics, to Hollywood, to musical luminaries like Joseph Silverstein and Jenny Oaks Baker, UYO&E has a 50+ year history of excellence and recognition.
- Utah Youth Symphony is founded by Robert Lentz at the University of Utah.
- Thirty years after founding Utah Youth Symphony Orchestra, Mr. Lentz retires as Music Director and Conductor.
- Barbara Scowcroft is selected from a field of auditioning conductors to be Music Director and Conductor of Utah Youth Symphony Orchestra.
- UYSO participates in the 2002 Cultural Olympiad for the month of February. Music Director Barbara Scowcroft brings 135 UYSO musicians together with thirty-six youth musicians from around the world for concerts in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming.
- February 18 is declared Utah Youth Symphony Orchestra Day by Governor Michael Leavitt. Also on this day, the Cultural Olympiad Youth Orchestra plays to a full house at Abravanel Hall.
- Utah Youth Symphony Orchestra and former UYSO concertmaster and internationally-renown soloist, Jenny Oaks Baker performed a thrilling concert together at Libby Gardner under the baton of Conductor Barbara Scowcroft. The concert features orchestral music selections from Jenny?s newest CD Silver Screen Serenade with classical music recognizable from popular Hollywood movies such as Young Frankenstein, Wizard of Oz, An American in Paris, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Romeo and Juliet. Arrangements by Utah?s own Kurt Bestor.
- Got Bach? J. S. on J. S.
Joseph Silverstein accepts Music Director Barbara Scowcroft's invitation to conduct a master class sponsored by UYSO&E. Professional musicians and youth musicians from all parts of Utah fill The West Institute performance hall to hear this legendary violinist and former Utah Symphony Music Director talk about Bach's music and provide valuable teaching to three young string musicians.
- Unprecedented numbers of musicians audition for UYSO; to accommodate the demand, as possible, Music Director Barbara Scowcroft creates a second high school youth orchestra, Utah Youth Philharmonic.
- Music Director Barbara Scowcroft responds to an urgent call for a youth orchestra to be featured as the East High orchestra in Disney's major motion picture, High School Musical 3. UYSO musicians become paid extras as musicians on the Disney set.
- The United States Air Force Academy Band (Rampart Winds) requested to perform with Utah Youth Orchestras. Several Utah Youth Orchestra members participated in a Masterclass given by Rampart Winds musicians.
- Utah Youth Orchestras presented the Crossroads Project featuring the Fry Street Quartet and Dr. Robert Davies.
- Several Utah Youth Orchestra members participated in a masterclass given by the Fry Street Quartet.
- Utah Youth Orchestras performed Dvorak's New World Symphony at the Utah Arts Festival in Salt Lake City.